Everything You Need to Know About Gamescom 2019: Schedule, Companies and Games
When and where to watch the conferences, which companies will be attending the event, and what games to expect
Gamescom 2019 schedule
Video game convention Gamescom, as usual, will take place in Cologne, Germany, and will last from August 20 to August 24. The first day, however, is for press and trade only. Visitors will be able to attend the fair starting from August 21.
In case you are visiting, here are the open hours:
|Day of the week||Date||EU time (CEST)|
|Tuesday||August 20||7 a.m. to 8 p.m. (press and trade visitors only)|
|Wednesday||August 21||9 a.m. (press and trade), 10 a.m. (public) to 8 p.m.|
|Thursday||August 22||9 a.m. (press and trade), 10 a.m. (public) to 8 p.m.|
|Friday||August 23||9 .a.m. to 8 p.m.|
|Saturday||August 24||9 a.m. to 8 p.m.|
Gamescom 2019 live conferences
Before the fair opens its doors to thousands of visitors, there will be three conferences held the day before, on August 19: Inside Xbox, Google Stadia Connect and Opening Night Live. The latter will be hosted by Geoff Keighley, the host and creator of The Game Awards ceremony.
|Event||UK time (BST)||EU time (CEST)|
East Coast Us time (EDT)
|West Coast time (PDT)|
|Google Stadia Connect||18:00||19:00||13:00||10:00|
|Opening Night Live||19:00||20:00||14:00||11:00|
What to expect: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint multiplayer, Empire of Sin gameplay, Destiny 2: Shadowkeep, Battletoads, the Horde mode for Gears 5, Bleeding Edge, Blair Witch, and Vigor.
It’s unlikely that Microsoft will make any unexpected announcements although one more Keanu Reeves would be breathtaking. Other than that, we are expecting updates about the upcoming releases and a bunch of games to play (in case you are in Germany).
Where to watch: YouTube
What to expect: updates on the cloud service and new games.
While there is no confirmed information of what will be shown during the stream, it makes sense to expect a few interesting announcements since Google Staida launches quite soon, in November.
Opening Night Live
What to expect: Hideo Kojima and new Death Stranding trailer, and announcements from ‘more than 15 publishers’.
Some of the latest announcements include Destiny 2: Shadowkeep cinematic reveal, gameplay footage of asymmetrical multiplayer shooter Predator: Hunting Grounds, and a ‘special announcement about Modern Warfare’.
And now let’s have a closer look at the companies to be present in Cologne and what games they will or might show.
The publisher has shared its Gamescom lineup, which includes 12 games:
- King’s Bounty 2 — a recently announced sequel to the classic King’s Bounty series.
- Men of War 2: Assault Squad — Cold War — a new entry in the RTS series is now set during the period of Cold war. Visitors will see gameplay reveal.
- Ancestors: Legacy — the historical RTS is getting a console version on its way.
- Devil’s Hunt — a third-person hack n’ slash action revolving around the eternal battle between angels and demons.
- Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones — a comic hand-drawn horror RPG inspired by the works of Lovecraft. A playable demo will be available.
- Ion Fury — a recently released retro shooter from the creators of Duke Nukem 3D, Prey, and Max Payne.
- WRATH: Aeon of Ruin — 3D Realms’ previous title created using the Quake-1 engine.
- Secret Government — a strategy game where you control a secret society pulling the strings on the major powers of industrial Europe.
- Conglomerate 451 — a grid-based dungeon crawler RPG set in a cyberpunk world.
- IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles series — a WWII air simulator with 1C Game Studios’ three new titles coming up — Battle of Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew.
- Fell Seal Arbiter’s Mark — a tactical RPG inspired by such titles as Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre.
- Deep Sky Derelicts: New Prospects — the RPG with turn-based combat is getting a new DLC.
Apart from a range of sports games like NBA 2K and WWE 2K20, the publisher is sure to bring Borderlands 3 to Germany. The trequel’s release is just around the corner — it’s coming out on September 13.
Japanese publisher will not bring FromSoftware’s new game, Elden Ring, to Cologne but will still present nine other games playable at Gamescom including:
- Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
- Code Vein
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
- Man of Medan
- One-Punch Man
- Disney TSUM TSUM FESTIVAL
The French company will showcase a range of racing games and a few other titles:
- WRC 8 — a new entry in the racing game series.
- TT Isle of Man 2 — a sequel to the 2017 motor racing game.
- Overpass — an off-road racing game.
- Bee Simulator — a honey collector simulator game featuring pollen collecting, fighting wasps, co-op and PvP modes.
- The Fisherman: Fishing Planet — the premium version of the game releasing for PS4 and Xbox One.
- Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory — a video game adaptation of a tabletop game.
- Rugby 20 — a new game in the sports simulator series.
There was no official confirmation of what the developer will reveal at Gamescom, but it’s likely to make an announcement related to the Resident Evil series or Devil May Cry as the recent rumor suggests.
CD Projekt Red
Polish developer will show the press improved demo of Cyberpunk 2077. However, visitors will only have a chance to watch developers play instead of getting the first-hand experience.
CDPR will also host a Cyberpunk 2077 Cosplay Contest the winner of which will get $2000 and a set of official 2077 merchandise.
The indie publishing division from Deck13 Interactive will bring a few games to play at the Indie Arena Booth:
- CrossCode — a retro-inspired 2D Action RPG set in the distant future which combines SNES-graphics and realistic physics. The devs will share some news about the console version of the game.
- The Shattering — a psychological first-person thriller that combines the dynamic environments, beautiful aesthetic and intriguing story.
- Wartile — a cool-down based strategy game in which you control a warband of Viking figurines in a miniature universe inspired by Norse mythology. It’s coming to consoles too.
Deep Silver and Koch Media
Deep Silver will tell about Metro Exodus DLC under the name of The Two Colonels, which was announced back in May.
Other games to be available at the booth include Bloodlines 2, Wasteland 3, Shenmue 3, GRID, and The Surge 2.
The extraordinary publisher will bring three games developed by indie studios to Cologne this year:
- Carrion — a reverse horror game where players take on the role of a hideous monster that is making its way of the lab killing everyone on its way.
- Heave Ho — a physics-based platformer in which four players need to get to the end of the level while controlling a bodiless head with two arms.
- Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout — a competitive game with battle royale elements in which a hundred players strive to get to the finishing line.
Most obviously, the company will make announcements about FIFA 20, Anthem and Apex Legends. And with the recent reveal of Need for Speed: Heat trailer, EA will certainly show a gameplay video and provide more details about the new racing game.
Another title likely to be present at Gamescom is Plants vs Zombies: Battle for the Neighborville, whose trailer leaked recently.
Focus Home Interactive
The publisher has action role-playing game on its way, GreedFall, so it’s likely to be present at Gamescom. Recently, the game received a gameplay trailer.
German publisher will showcase two unannounced games. One is a space station manager developed by Realmforge Studios (some say it should be Startopia). Another is a new entry in a sea trading series that Gaming Minds Studios is working on. This could be a new Port Royal or Patrician title.
As for playable games, Gamescom visitors can try remasters of Commandos 2 and Praetorians, vampire strategy Immortal: Vampire Wars, and console version of Tropico 6.
The company will bring a new sports simulator eFootball PES 2020, which is aimed at cybersport. A new Contra game titled Contra: Rogue Corps, a Switch version of the card game Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Edition, and sci-fi thriller Deliver Us The Moon.
THQ’s indie department HandyGames will present several games at the Indie Arena Booth:
- El Hijo
- Through The Darkest Of Times
- One Hand Clapping
- Battle Chasers: Nightwar
The publisher will showcase a big range of games from Japanese developers, including:
- Granblue Fantasy Versus — fighting set in the Granblue Fantasy universe.
- Heroland — single-player RPG about a theme park where guests go on dungeon runs
- Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. — a game about a spoiled harvest goddess who was banished to a dangerous island with a group of outcasts
- Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes Complete Edition — the enhanced version of the Wii game for PS4 and Switch.
- BurgerTime Party! — a remake of the classic arcade game
- Rune Factory 4 Special — a remastered version of a classic farming simulator.
French publisher will present three playable demos:
- Blacksad: Under the Skin — a detective noir game based on the famous graphic novel featuring anthropomorphic animals.
- Asterix & Obelix XXL 3: The Crystal Menhir — a new installment in the franchise.
- XIII — the remake of the cel-shaded first-person shooter will be shown to the press only.
The publisher will bring five games to Germany, including two ‘’surprise titles’’:
- Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince
- Ary and the Secret of Seasons
- Cris Tales
Visitors of the fair will have a chance to play a few new titles including Pokémon Sword, Pokémon Shield, and Daemon X Machina. Besides, there will be six Switch games demonstrated at Gamescom:
- Luigi’s Mansion 3
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
- Astral Chain
- Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age — Definitive Edition
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- The Witcher III: Wild Hunt – Complete Edition
2K’s department will present several big titles, including The Outer Worlds, Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey from Patrice Désilets, Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed game designer, and Disintegration. The latter is a first-person shooter in a sci-fi setting developed by Marcus Lehto, one of the Halo developers.
Together with Atlus, Sega will showcase Catherine: Full Body, which is set to release on September 3. There will be a demo available containing both cutscenes and playable segments with puzzle and character interaction.
Another game to be present in Cologne is the console version of Two Point Hospital, which will release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Switch later this year.
Visitors will also have a chance to play Sega Mega Drive Mini with the full 41-game lineup.
Finally, the company will reveal a new unannounced AAA-title. This could be a new Total War Saga or a mysterious game Humankind that received a teaser.
Though the company has confirmed its presence at the convention, the lineup is yet to be revealed. This could be The Last of Us: Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima or MediEvil remake. Modern Warfare is sure to get new footage as well.
Japanese publisher will have a big range of games to show during the event. This way, there will be a playable demo of Final Fantasy VII Remake and a show devoted to Final Fantasy XIV and its recent Shadowbringers expansion. Perhaps Final Fantasy VIII Remastered will be demonstrated in Cologne too.
Other games to be shown include the 4th episode of Life is Strange 2, Kingdom Hearts III, the Trials of Mana remake, and, of course, Marvel’s Avengers.
As the publisher has stated, three new titles will be shown in Cologne. Two of these are Apple Arcade titles: spy action Spyder and adventure game Little Orpheus developed by The Chinese Room, the developers of Dear Esther and Gone Home. There will also be present an unannounced game developed for consoles and PC.
The publisher recently revealed its Gamescom lineup that includes several new games:
- Desperados 3;
- Darksiders Genesis;
- Destroy All Human! Remake;
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom — Rehydrated.
- Monkey King
One more title that may make its way to the conference is a new Saint’s Row installment that is developed by the series’ developer Volition, as was revealed in THQ’s recent financial report.
Gamescom attendants will be able to get hold of several playable demos, including Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, new Rainbow Six Siege content, and sports game Roller Champions. Watch Dogs Legion, which was shown at E3 this summer, will have a live gameplay demonstration. Visitors, however, won’t be given a chance to try it.
Other games to be present in Cologne include Just Dance 2020 with a dancing contest, Trials Rising, and Brawlhalla. New The Settlers are also likely to present at Ubisoft booth.
No games — just Steam devs talking marketing, Steamworks, and VR.
Xbox Game Studios
Gamescom attendants will have a chance to play Minecraft Dungeons, Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, Doom Eternal, NBA 2K20 and PC version of Halo: The Master Chief Collection. We also expect to see Age of Empires 4 and hear some news about Project xCloud.