THQ Nordic Makes Big Announcements Prior to Gamescom 2019
The company teases many upcoming titles, including Metro, Saints Row, and more
The company behind franchises such as Metro, Dead Island and Darksiders decided not to wait for Gamescom 2019 and shared some exciting news. Instead, they revealed much big news in the last financial report.
Here’s the list of the most important announcements:
- The company bought the studio Gunfire Games, which developed Darksiders 3 and consists mainly of former Vigil Games employees, who made the first two games in the series.
- THQ Nordic also bought Italian Milestone Interactive, creators of MotoGP, MXGP, and Ride.
- Volition is officially working on a new Saints Row game.
- Piranha Bytes has joined forces with THQ Nordic GmbH to develop an unannounced game.
- Dambuster Studios, known for Homefront: The Revolution, is now responsible for the development of problematic Dead Island 2. It’s the third time that the game passed to another studio: Techland, Yager, and Sumo Digital previously worked on the title.
- Fishlabs, known for its Galaxy on Fire series, is working on a new IP and several other unannounced projects.
- Following the purchase of the rights to TimeSplitters, one of the series’ creators Steve Ellis joined THQ Nordic. He will assist with the development of new projects in this franchise.
- During a meeting with investors, it was also revealed that 4A Games is already working on a next Metro game.
- THQ Nordic AB (THQ Nordic, Koch Media/Deep Silver, Coffee Stain) will release two AAA-titles in the next fiscal year (which starts on April 1, 2020, and ends on March 31, 2021).
The company also reported its successful Q1 2019: THQ Nordic saw year-to-year growth of net sales and other stats thanks to the sales of Metro Exodus.
Right now there are 81 games in development by THQ Nordic studios. 47 of them weren’t announced yet. It’s possible that there will be some reveals at Gamescom 2019, which will take place from August 20 till August 24 in Cologne, Germany.