MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Developer Explains Epic Games Store Exclusivity
These reasons help understand why so many PC games decide to abandon Steam
Piranha Games president Russ Bullock had AMA via NoGutsNoGalaxy podcast where he answered fans’ questions about the upcoming MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries. However, many people wanted to get some answers not about the game itself, but rather about the reasons why the devs decided to make MechWarrior 5 an EGS exclusive.
Here are the main points from Bullock’s answers regarding the exclusivity topic:
- It’s very hard for games to get enough attention on Steam, as the platform has dozens of new releases every day. Only big titles can retain users attention for longer than 10 hours — and Bullock considers Piranha Games to be a relatively small studio. On Epic Games Store, the game will be heavily featured for a whole month.
- Bullock is sure that EGS user count will highly increase after Borderlands 3 release in September.
- Valve takes 30% from the game's sales, while Epic Games only asks for 12%. For example, for a million copies sold the difference will be more than $9 million.
- Pirahna knows that many gamers dislike EGS exclusivity. However, the devs think that this decision will help the franchise in the long term.
- Only 700 out of 20 000 people asked for a refund on the first day after the devs announced the game’s exclusivity. Pirahna pays for refunds without Epic Games help.
- Bullock has debunked old rumors that Epic Games Store client is actually Tencent’s malware used to steal users’ info.
You can listen to the full podcast with the company’s president below:
Previously, the devs released 12 gorgeous screenshots that show the pre-alpha version of the game.
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will release only on Epic Games Store on December 10.