Tons of New Cyberpunk 2077 Details Surface Online
New information about the game’s lore, customization, item management and much more
Polish press got to see a new gameplay demo for Cyberpunk 2077 last week. The video wasn’t made public, but we still learnt a lot of new information about the game. It was first posted on Polish websites and forums and was later translated by NeoGaf users.
We went through the new info and grouped it to make it easier to read.
In Cyberpunk 2077, the population is strongly divided by income and world views. The richest people will have augmentations that are available only for them. Some people will refuse to get any body upgrades due to their religion. The developers want to create a varied population.
Different religions like Christianity and some Eastern beliefs are present in Cyberpunk 2077 world. The devs say that they want to explore the continuity of our world instead of creating an alternate one. Some things will look like our current reality: religion falls into that category.
CD Projekt RED responded to the concert that the presence of religion will likely create a scandal:
"We will not avoid any subject, even if they may offend the sensitivity of some. We are not here to say whether it is good or bad."
One of the Cyberpunk 2077 topics will be the exacerbation that community membership is a way for people to protect themselves from danger and poverty.
Cyberpsychosis, a mental illness caused by an overload of cybernetic augmentations to the body, is present in the game. Even though it’s not possible to get the main character to this extreme, the game will show this phenomenon through quests and scripted events.
Complex economics and itemization systems
V has a stat called Street Cred that functions pretty much like a reputation level. It affects many things, but also the quality of components bought for crafting. The scarcity of objects corresponds to its availability rate in stores. The rarer an object is, the more Street Cred will be required to buy it from a seller.
Here is the list of other important details:
- You can buy a huge variety of clothes like long jackets, sneakers, t-shirts, etc.
- One of the programs that Netrunner (one of the game’s specializations) can buy is a hack for disabling cybernetic eyes or to block a cybernetic cock.
- Some merchants will offer unique items and discounts only for a specified period of time or at specific times.
- The inventory will be limited by the weight that can be transported.
Deep leveling system
Each attribute and skill goes up to level 10. There are 60 perks (you can select 5 per skill), while each perk has 5 levels of progression. You can increase your skills’ level by finding a trainer or by installing certain implants.
You can combine skills with doping products, which will result in something like the slow-motion effect while hacking. This was used during a fight against an Animals gang member to have more time to hack him.
There are more details about how the leveling system works:
- In the demo, V is level 18 with a Street Cred level 12. Brigitte, who is level 45, is the highest level NPC shown.
- Modifications can be performed only by a specialist but minor tweaks such as adding poison to V’s mantis blade are doable without anyone’s help.
- As you advance your hacking skills, the options will expand from a simple door opening to controlling cameras or turrets and more. Mini-games related to hacking will be different depending on what you hack.
The devs changed the way the damage is shown in battles compared to the 2018 demo. They try several methods to indicate the damage taken by the opponent with lesser quantities of numbers appearing on a screen, like adding special animations.
A few other combat-related things were shown:
- When V uses a glass bottle to shatter it on the skull of an opponent, it results in a bloody visual effect and the shard of the bottle is still usable for fighting.
- You can hack things from a distance using bots.
- More details about the boss fight with Animals’ leader Sasquatch: The fight takes place in a small room with interactive objects. The boss can use these items to prevent us from reaching the weak spot on her back. It is also possible to avoid the fight.
Other game mechanics
Cyberpunk 2077 has a very dynamic and interactive dialogue system. It allows starting a conversation with an NPC without leaving a bike or a car. Another example is an interactive discussion between V and Placide in the demo: during the conversation, a henchman enters the room with a message. If V looks at this character, a new dialog option to interact with him appears. According to the devs, this will have an impact on the conversation with Placid if used.
When Placide forces V to connect to the network to be monitored during his mission, it’s possible to interrupt the process if we have Street Kid backstory selected, because only a street child knows how gangs work.
Other nice details to mention:
- If you take a driver out of his car to rob him and there is a gang or the police around, a violent response will be felt
- There will be many side quests available. On top of that, there will be many events happening across the city that might start a quest if you interfere with them. Night City brings together many activities.
- There won’t be a classic quest list to tell the player what to do like it was in The Witcher 3. However, some optical improvements will highlight certain points of interest through augmented reality.
- The character creation won’t have any gender restrictions. You can choose a male model and add feminine attributes, a feminine voice, and feminine hair. The type of voice will impact how NPCs will perceive you.
Cyberpunk 2077 will get a new public gameplay demo during PAX West 2019 in August, while the game’s release is scheduled for April 16, 2020.
More about Cyberpunk 2077: